Monday, August 26, 2013

Pain is pain...

So things in our lives have been a little crazy...and sad...and fearful...and worriesome...and all shades of crappy....

Mixed with overwhelming joy and love and happiness...

It's the roller coaster ride of a family who has a child with cANCER.

Up and down and twirly and swirly....then you throw up...then you laugh...

but you always want off the ride.

This is our third time on the ride.

Braden's third cANCER battle.

I didn't sign up for this shit...and I didn't get in the line...

I'm pretty sure I was thrown onto the ride kicking and screaming.

Needless to say, it's been chaotic and overwhelming.

Well, I have had many conversations with my friends in which I've learned that they, too, have had their own roller coaster rides. Filled with their own twirly swirly dips and twists, throwing up, and wanting off.

But they haven't said anything to me.

When I do finally get them to come clean, they apologize profusely and say, "You have SO much going on right now...I didn't want to bother you and I didn't want to make you more sad".

So let's just talk about that because it's sort of an taboo thing to talk about in society. Nobody really knows what to do and how to handle situations like mine.  I've always believed open communication and talking about the elephant in the room is the way to go.

I can't speak for everyone in similar shoes, but this is what I need and want my friends to know! :)

First, NOTHING can make me more sad about my own stuff.  Nothing.  Once again my son has overwhelming odds of dying or surviving only to have devastating side effects which could result in him not having "quality time".

So nothing can EVER make me more sad about that.  I have crossed over into the infinity to the power of infinity, plus one level of sadness.

I'm kicking ASS in the Sadness Olympics!

If there were such a thing.... LOL!

BUT....it doesn't mean that I can't empathize with someone else's sadness. And it doesn't mean I can't be helpful with someone else's "stuff".

I'm not saying I will be helpful...I'm still me and quite often a complete mess and I often insert my foot into my mouth...

(figuratively)

Unless I have had entirely too much tequila...

Then all bets are off.

But I want to try.

I want to be a part of my friends' lives, I want to hear from other cANCER moms, and I want to try to help find resources and help for them too.

It actually helps me to help someone else. It gives me something that I can try to control and result in a better outcome for someone else.

I want to be a part of my friends' lives.

It fills my heart and soul to TRY to help.

So let me.

Many of my friends have apologized for what they are worried, stressed, sad, fearful about because they think what they are going through is not nearly as big as what I'm going through.

My response is always the same...

Anyone who feels the need to quantify sadness, worry, stress, and fear is not thinking. And, frankly, not a very good person.

Pain is pain.

Fear is fear.

Sadness is sadness

Worry is worry.

Heartbreak is heartbreak.

There is absolutely NO need to quantify, no need to measure anyone's pain against someone else's.

So please don't feel the need to quantify and compare.

Pain is pain.

Period!

I do not believe it is disrespectful or insensitive to tell me about your personal crapfest. And, I may cry with you...and that's okay, I would have done that before this cANCER mess so I'll probably do it now.

I feel isolated and shut out and like I'm a bad friend when I am not a part of your lives, even the bad stuff, and even with my crapfest.

So stop making me feel worse about myself by not sharing!! ;)  LOL!!

My heart is big enough to handle your happiness too.  Yes...it really is.  So when you become pregnant, your child reaches a major milestone, you get a new job, you are going to Hawaii...whatever it is... (and those are all made up as I type but if you are going to Hawaii...I want to go in your suitcase please) :)

I can take it!

I can actually be happy for you, even on my really crappy days.  I WANT to be happy for you and I want to celebrate with you. I need things to smile about also!

Just treat me like you did before the new diagnosis. I'm still me. I have another round on the roller coaster from hell but being friends, sharing your lives...gives me a brief moment on the roller coaster of straight, slow track where I can focus on something other than when the next big dip is coming that is going to make me throw up.

All of us have friends who go through hard times. The best advice is ASK your friend how they want to be treated...do they want to hear your stuff or not...

and for those of you who didn't ask me, but heard it anyway...now you know! :)

My friends are my family. I love you all and we will get through my roller coaster and your roller coasters by being there for each other.

It's what friendship is all about.

Love you!
Deliece


15 comments:

  1. Wow! So appreciate your honestly and transparency! Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Honesty is the only way to go! :)

      Delete
  2. Deliece,
    I so relate to what you are saying. People say the same things to me and to Adrianne they say "Well, I don't want to complain about my ___________ when you are in so much pain." I tell them there is no totem pole of pain. My pain is not higher up on the pole. It's all relative.

    So, on this subject, my friend Monica Porterfield, whom I know you have helped with your own story, has been given a number...6 months. Hospice has now been brought in and it seems hope is at a minimum right now.

    As always, your honesty is so damn refreshing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be praying for Monica!! I'm SO very sorry!! Many hugs!!

      Delete
    2. I love everything about this whole post! I try to live the same way and get angry (secretly) when people think I "can't handle one more thing to worry about." Moomer I will use your totem pole of pain saying every day from here on out, it really says what's at the heart of the matter. We all hurt and because of that we are all tied together through the string of human emotion. I've never met Deliece or Braden, but I hope for them every morning, all day and every night before bed because they are tied to my heart. I will hope for Monica, even if that is all I can do. The only way to change this world is through hope and I believe that Deliece and her army are on the forefront of that battle every single day. I'm humbled to be a little tiny part of that because that is all I can do, be part of the HOPE battle and let it change the world one person at a time.

      Delete
  3. Love your honesty! Some people just don't know how to approach the situation and feel like they are going to add to your worries. I know some of the hell you are going thru as I watched my parents go thru cANCER treatment. I was there every damn step of the way from beginning to end. No one else except my best friend, came close to experiencing what I did in those months. My family backed off and blamed me for some things. In the end, my family does not have me part of its life and that is what I choose. I choose my friends to be my family. Today, I can sit and talk to anyone about anything whether it is small or large. What I don't like is when people minimize things that have happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deliece, just wanted to say what an amazing woman you have grown into. I read your blogs and I remember that sweet, but ornery girl, who used to ride the school bus with us.

    I remember that feeling of frustration and helplessness with a sick child. Our oldest son was born with a heart problem and had open heart surgery when he was 5 1/2 weeks old and I still remember him just laying in that bed with this bubble over his head and we couldn't hear him cry, we couldn't hold him or feed him. We take every minute as a blessing and don't take anything for granted. Every day is a gift from God. By the way, 26 years later, Greg is still doing great (even if he is driving us crazy with his life's choices).

    Just wanted to let you know that I think of you often, and pray for you and your family more often. I don't know that I could be as strong as you have been through this ordeal.

    Take care!

    Cynthia (Ryan) DeRee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia! I have enjoyed getting to talk to Maureen on Facebook...so good to hear from you!! We are praying!!! I am SO glad Greg is doing well!! Big hugs!

      Delete
  5. I feel exactly the same way! My daughter is also battling cANCER and my friends would keep things from me; good and bad. I finally had to tell them that if they kept treating me like I'm frail and fragile I would kick their a$$es lol. That worked :)
    Robin S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deliece, your posts are always AMAZING! I can understand why your friends may try to protect you from any additional sadness...but being the MIGHTY PROTECTOR that you are, I'm sure that doesn't work for you. Such beautiful insight, that you know this has been happening. Now they know, open the door to Deliece! Let her in, as her helping you also helps her! Much love, prayers, and HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They rock and their beautiful souls amaze me! :) I'm truly blessed!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for saying what so many people feel. I don't have a child with cancer but have several chronic illnesses and am really sick of being treated like I am so fragile. The avoidance and omission is far worse than any pain they can cause by being honest and coming clean. Thanks again for putting it out there. HOPE.
    Michelle R. Harms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle...I'm so sorry that you are fighting that. You are in my prayers!!

      Delete