Monday, January 7, 2013

This is why the title of my blog is what it is...

On Saturday morning, my husband left to do two things,

1.  Go to the bank

2.  Get his car washed.

He called me a little while later and said,

"So...I went to the Best Buy next door to Petsmart..."

Oh shit....

(I knew where this was going.)

SIGH!!!

The very first Christmas present he ever bought me was a kitty.

We had been dating about 5 months and had NOT discussed me getting a cat.

We HAD (in our dating bliss) discussed pets and who like what kind.

I told him I used to have dogs..chows to be exact.

We showed them, and I loved my big 125 lb, fluffy, slobbery babies!

He said he was NOT a dog person and liked cats.

I said that I liked cats too.

Now before you judge.... consider this...

I was 31 years old and had been divorced and in the dating game for awhile.

Brian had all his teeth,

He had a job,

He owned a home (okay, so it was right across the cul-de-sac from the one I had just purchased (6 days before we went on our first date), which could have made a break up.....awwwwwwkward),

He was independent, nice looking, very intelligent...

And he was funny.

So if you are reading this shaking your head that I told him "I like cats too" in my bobble head blonde "I will agree with everything you say because we just started dating and you have some good qualities" voice...

You are either:

Single (that's NOT an insult),

in denial and lying to yourself that you would NEVER do that,

Never been in the dating game for awhile....

OR are in a relationship with

someone who is has less than all their teeth. :)

LOL!!

(and I actually had owned cats before...they were outdoor farm cats whose mission was to catch mice, but we owned cats nonetheless and I did like them...from afar...very afar).

So when he came to my door with a really cute black and white kitten.....

I was "very" excited (while wondering what the hell I was going to do with it.)

Turned out that "Cosmo" was my baby...he loved his "mom" and slept with his nose in my neck, purring and kneading every single night.

Brian and I got married 3 years later and we had Cosmo until about 7 years ago when he got liver disease and we had to put him to sleep.

It was awful!

We had talked about getting another cat, but "cAncer" got in the way and we just never had a life that would be conducive to having a pet.

We had recently been talking about getting another cat SOMEDAY.

Emphasis on SOMEDAY!!! 

NOT TA DAY!!!

So Brian told me it was adoption day at Petsmart (the exact same location he bought Cosmo at years before)

Then he told me about this really cute little guy.

He was all black except for a small white splotch on his chest...

And he had the most glowing golden eyes ever.

We did Facetime on our phones and the boys saw him and we were done.

Brian brought home the 5 month old kitten, a litterbox, litter, and food/bowls.

Immediately the boys were smitten!!

Zach is his best friend...he loves him and it's pretty cool that the cat seems to love him second best (to dad which we will never tell Zach...)

Zach's been in Braden's shadow for a lot of years and it's nice to see him shine!!

And Braden thinks he is funny and always walks up to us and bluntly says, "Mom...where's the cat?"

As for me...

It's a change to have a cat again.

I am a neat freak...I mean a NEAT freak!!

I love 90 degree angles and vacuum marks in the carpet.

Gone are those days.

LOL!

This crazy cat is a cry baby.

CRY BABY!!!!!!!

But,

He is a really good boy, putting up with the boys giggling, chasing, playing, picking him up and hauling him to and fro, and constantly wanting to keep him awake..no peace and quiet for that kitty!! :)

He has never scratched or attempted to bite, even in play.

He just purrs all the time, and moves constantly!

We finally arrived at a name...Indy.

THAT only took 24 hours..and it happened because I finally threw a fit and said we HAD to agree on a name.

No one else really needed him to have a name.

WTH???

Apparently, they wanted to watch and observe him forever and pick a name that perfectly fit his personality.

Just freakin pick a name people!!!!!!

So we made a list of names and voted.

He's named "Indy" after Indiana Jones because he's an explorer and adventurer.

I voted for Cry Baby. 

That idea only got the one vote.

Secretly, it's really fun to have a kitty again.

Now I have to teach him to snuggle...

if I can get him to sit still long enough! :)

And I better NEVER hear my husband complain about impulse buying again!

EVER!!

:)








6 comments:

  1. I ended up with a kitten when my now husband and I had been dating for about 2 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! So I'm not the only one who got "stuck" with a cat!! :) LOL!! I loved that silly cat...and I still miss him! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Kitty!! I can't wait to meet him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb...he will love meeting you and Nat! :)

      Delete
  4. He's adorable! It's meant to be...it worked the first time!

    ReplyDelete