Monday, February 25, 2013

You Saved My Heart...

The other day, I was doing the Evil Twister Workout (described in this blog... http://deliecehofen.blogspot.com/2013_01_30_archive.html)

Braden was home and he wanted to do it with me.

I knew it was a bad idea because even I can't keep up with left hand here and lunge right and...smile..."are we having fun yet?" 

No Evil Twister Chick, I'm not having fun!! :)

Braden tried but when he can't do something, he falls on the floor and cries and says, "I can't do it!!".

Doesn't matter how insignificant whatever he couldn't do was, he is upset because he can't do it!

Then, my sweet boy did what he always does. He got up and tried again.  Then fell on the floor and again said, "I can't do it" and cried.

That continued for some time. I tried to talk him down but there was no fixing it...there never is...

Braden Hofen does not know how to give up.  He will NOT quit trying no matter how hard it is and I'm pretty sure that is why he is still alive today!

Finally, the workout was over and I shut it off. Braden got up, picked up the five pound weights, and with swollen eyes lifted them up and smiled and said, "Look at me, I'm doing it!"

I told him he was doing it and we clapped and hugged and he was smiling from ear to ear.

Then while I was still hugging him he started crying again, took my face in his hands and  he said, "Mom, you saved my heart. I love you!" and gave me one last big hug.

I looked at him and said, "No buddy, you saved MY heart!"

And then he ran off to play.

It's true.

He did save my heart!

Before the cAncer mess, I thought I had things figured out in life.

I had a great career, two wonderful children, an amazing husband, a safe home, and food to eat.

Braden taught me lessons I didn't want to learn. I certainly didn't want to learn them through him having cAncer, but he DID save my heart.

I didn't even know I was missing anything in my heart until the cAncer mess.

Braden taught me how to be strong and courageous. He never quits.

He taught me to live for joy, even on horrible days. See the positive!

He taught me about detours and that life isn't about the places you arrive, it's about the journey!

He taught me to be GRATEFUL for every single day. For every single day!! Even the bad ones.

He taught me to fight and never quit.

He clarified for me that God doesn't give us the bad stuff to punish us or teach us a lesson, God is our salvation and grace. God is our HOPE! God is good all the time!

He taught me to have an appreciation for life.

He saved my heart.

I "knew" these things, but I didn't LIVE these things like I should have until, Braden saved me.

He was 3.

And he has autism.

There's a lesson in that for all of us.

It's not about how old you are or how many education degrees you have.

It's not about money and notoriety.

It's about having a heart that is pure and knows how to truly love others.

It's about fighting for what is right no matter what!

It's about enjoying every minute you have on this Earth because it can all end tomorrow.

Stop, think, love, and appreciate.

cAncer, you lose!!



No comments:

Post a Comment